Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Creepy Crawly Things

This one just happened to be available for posing when I did this post. It died a raid filled death shortly afterwards.

Since the construction began around the house, we have seen an increase in my least favorite of the creepy crawly type. I swear I see at least one spider a day in the house and they even attack me when I get up in the middle of the night. I just wanted to touch on a couple of encounters that have stuck out to me. First of all I will start off with our bedroom.

One day I was in our room and I found 2 spiders in a web behind the door. I inspected it and it looked like they were both dead so I didn't hurry in getting rid of them. Well, later I went back because I got thinking and had some concerns so I got a little closer and noticed that one of them had fallen out of the web and was shriveled on the floor. The other one wasn't dead, but with getting just close enough to see I discovered it wasn't just another house spider. Yes there was a red mark on the belly of a black body. That was the female black widow and the one on the floor was it's mate. We took care of the problem and after a few nights of paranoid scratching every itch and trying to sleep I was finally able to start sleeping again.

Another night Shane had gone to bed early because he wasn't feeling well. I came in later and he still had the lamp on by the bed. I noticed a little black thing on the side of the bed right by Shane. After a closer inspection I realized it was a spider so I grabbed one of Shane's shoes and knocked it off the bed and it fell apart before it even hit the ground. I cleaned it up and told Shane about it the next day.

This next one is still in our bedroom, but it doesn't deal with a spider. I was rubbing lotion onto my hands and I just happened to look at the window and see something moving up there. I squealed to Shane who was on the bed next to the window and we discovered it wasn't a spider. it was about 1 1/4 inches long and resembled a centipede. It was brown and I didn't like it in our bedroom one bit. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a centipede, but it still was creepy. I've seen them before, but usually only when we'd move a railroad tie in the backyard. They are a lot more intimidating when they're by your bed. I had a hard time sleeping after this one too. Well, I guess I should say that I couldn't really sleep after any of these encounters.

This last story I don't think has anything to do with the construction, but I think it's creepy and don't like the idea one bit. On Sunday at church a family that lives a couple of houses down from us decided to report to my mom about their neighborhood findings in the last month. It turns out that they have found 3 different snakes. One was a big garden snake, another was identified as I think a bullhead snake, and they don't know what the other one was. Well, one of them has become their new pet. I get paranoid when we go to Lake Powell because I have been the finder of 2 out of 2 snakes we've encountered there. I guess I won't worry about our neighborhood and just hope that I never have to encounter any snakes there. I spend a lot of time inside, but that doesn't calm my nerves since we still have a door shaped hole in the side of our house.

1 comment:

Devin and Amber said...

I'm glad I'm not living with the bugs. :) At least I haven't found one in my house for a long time. Just thinking about Black Widows makes me shudder. Have fun with the creepy crawlies.