Monday, June 30, 2008

The Doctor Apptointment From Heck

I had a doctor appointment today and it was quite long and eventful. I was stuck in the waiting room for 45 minutes before they called me back. In that time I saw several people that I knew walk by, but I was really bored just waiting. They finally called me back and did the routine things before I went to settle into the room the doctor would see me in. The nurse came in and told me there was some bad news and that the doctor had been called to do an emergency cesarian section and that given the nature of my visit that week I would have to wait for him to come back (possibly 45 min.). She then came back in and told me he had 10 minutes and to hurry and get undressed to do the group b strep test. I sat on the thing feeling very uncomfortably waiting when the nurse came back in and said his 10 minutes turned into 5 and he had already left for the OB to do the c-section. I opted to put my clothes back on because I didn't like sitting there vulnerable. Well, the fire alarm went off and I was ever grateful that I had put my pants back on. Everyone was taken outside and we had to wait for the "all clear" before they would let us back in. A few minutes after I got back into my room the nurse came back in and said the doctor would be back in 10 minutes and to get ready for the test. I readied myself and the doctor finally came in. He checked the measurment of my belly and the fetal heart rate, did the strep test, and then did the test to see if things were moving towards labor. The best news I recieved during this appointment is that I am not closed, thick, and high... The baby is in the vertex position (head down), and my contractions haven't been in vain so far. At 36 weeks 4 days I am dialated 2 cm. and effaced 60%. I was amazed to hear that, but it was awesome news. There is a possibility this baby will be coming earlier than expected, but where everyone is different, I could still end up being late. I just thought today's appointment was worth noting because of all the exciting things that happened to keep me at the hospital for 2 hours. My favorite part was the fire alarm. The sad thing was there really was a fire at the hospital. Good news was they got it out before the fire department got there. My doctor and the nurse were talking about it during my check up and the doctor said he could smell smoke in the operating room.

1 comment:

Devin and Amber said...

Wow...that was an eventful visit. I'm glad the fire wasn't worse than it was. It sounds like things are going well with your preganancy.