Sunday, August 3, 2008

Our New Arrival

After a very short and intense labor from being induced, we finally have our new arrival. His name is Brody Quinn. He was 7lb 8oz and 19 1/2 in. long. They put me on the oxytocin at 4:30 and the doctor came in at 7:00 and broke my water. They worked me up to 8ml an hour of the oxytocin and my contractions were coming so strong and close together that they turned it clear down to 2ml an hour. As soon as I felt contractions after breaking my water I said, "I want an epidural!" I had already signed the paper (thankfully) and so all I had to do was wait for the guy to finish up with the girl before me and I was next. They got the epidural in and waited a little bit for me to feel somewhat comfortable and Phyllis checked me. She didn't have to go far because I was complete and ready to push. They went to get the doctor and he was running back and forth because the girl that got her epidural before me was pushing at the moment. He delivered hers first and came in to deliver mine next. They had me pushing shortly before he came in, but things didn't take long. He made it in time for a couple of contractions and he was out. I only had to push for 30 minutes. My doctor loves delivering babies so much that every morning if he has patients being induced he'll come into the OB and start off his day with, "Let's break some water!" He was so excited to be delivering 2 so close together. Brody was born with a lovely head of hair. I would guess it's about an inch long. His sucking reflexes are very good because he is constantly practicing. Even in his sleep he sucks on his tongue. The last 2 days have been spent with him constantly begging for food. The pediatrician said he's perfect and strong. I was so excited to hear these words. We stayed in the hospital for just over a day and a half. After that we were on our own. We've been doing pretty good and appreciate all those meals we have and will recieve. Shane went to sacrament meeting today and they announced his birth so the ward has stepped in to help out. This has so far been a scary but wonderful experience. Brody is wonderful and we love him so much. Even when he's crying inconsolably he's still cute. Luckily he gets tired fast so he's pretty easy to take care of. Hope you enjoy our pictures.

This was taken just minutes after he was born. At this point the cord has been cut and he's been slightly wiped down. Shane got to give him his first bath in the nursery.

A lot of the pictures we've taken are of him sleeping so we just took this one for fun because he was alert. I still can't get over how cute he is.

He looked so cute lying in his bassinette in the hospital so I had to take a picture. This is a place he rarely ended up. There was always someone just dying to hold him or he was just dying to be held. Phyllis took him to the nursery to wait for the pediatrician to look him over and he insisted she sat in the rocking chair and rocked him till she came. Being a "serogate" grandma she gladly obliged. She told me during delivery to push like I was constipated with a bowling ball. It made me laugh which was good because it made me forget about the pain.

3 comments:

Kara said...

Congrats on the new arrival! Each and everyday with a newborn is an amazing, awe inspiring (sleep deprived)experience-enjoy every precious minute of it!

Unknown said...

He is adorable! Good job with the labor and delivery! We can't wait to meet baby Brody.

Dave and Alisha said...

He is sooo cute. I can't wait to see him in person.