Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Envelope Please

Yesterday I was stuck in the hospital from 9:45 to 1:45. It felt so long I wanted to die. The worst part was that I had to go by myself. As most of you know I was called back in to do a 3 hour glucose test after I failed my first one. When I showed up at the lab they told me they had to take a fasting blood sample. They ran it down to the lab and had them check it before they even started the glucose test. After they got the go ahead from my doctor they gave me the drink. This time it was lemon lime flavored and resembled sprite. It also had twice as much glucose in it than the orange one. I will say that the lemon lime one was worse because I didn't have anything in my stomach and it haunted me the whole time I was there. When they gave me the drink they told me to let them know if I started feeling sick and they would put me in a room so I could lay down. Unfortunately I had to take advantage of that offer. Almost an hour after taking the drink I almost threw up. I told the girl and she took me into one of the drawing rooms that had a bed since they were about to call me back anyways for my first drawing of the test. After they took my blood they took me into another room and I laid down the last 2 hours of the test. Luckily I never threw up. Whenever it was time for them to draw my blood they would come into my room and take it. Sometimes if I didn't feel like sitting up they would take it while I was laying down. I just read my parenting magazine the whole time. I look like a bruised human needle cushion now. The last time they drew my blood the lady used the same vein that they used two days before and she couldn't get it to start sucking up blood. She told me I'd have a really big bruise on that arm because she kept moving the needle around and threatened to have to poke me again. Luckily it started doing it's job so I only got poked 5 times instead of 6. That is counting the poke from my first test. After the test was done I went home and ate feeling quite tortured. Well, today I got the results back and I am happy to inform you all that I do not have gestational diabetes. I guess I really did sabotage myself when I ate those fruity pebbles before the first one. I am happy about that and really excited to be able to let my arms heal and not be poked again for a while.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good results! I'm glad you made it through okay. I always got in trouble with my OB because my monthly sample at the office always showed glucose. They'd ask what I ate and then get mad at me for having a smoothie or yogurt with my cereal (I thought I was eating pretty healthfully).