Tuesday, May 6, 2008
The Longest Doctors Appt. Only Getting Longer
Yesterday I had my doctors appointment and everything went great there. They gave me a lab order sheet and said I needed to go have a glucose test done. They also informed me that it would take an hour and I couldn't leave the hospital so pick a time when I could stay for a while. Well I was open so I went on down to the lab and started the test. They made me drink this glucose drink that was carbonated and tasted just like an orange soda. This is where it started to get long. I had to sit in the waiting area for an hour so that they could draw my blood an hour after I drank the drink. I read some magazine articles, watched the clock, read some more, texted Shane, and ran into a lady from my old ward and talked to her for a little bit. Finally they called me in and they poked me with a needle. (shudders) I hate needles! They called me today with my results and I knew it was bad news when they didn't say everything was fine in the voice mail they left. I called them back and found out that the results came back high and they would have to have me do a longer test. This one I have to eat dinner, fast all night, and go in the next morning. They will make me drink the "orange soda" and then draw blood every hour for 3 hours starting the hour after i drink it. I hope everything goes well. If not, I guess I will have to live with the fact that I have gestational diabetes. Then I will have to make a lot of changes to my eating habits. I guess it didn't help much that I ate 2 bowls of fruity pebbles 2 hours before I went in to see the doctor. That was like 3 1/2 hours before they drew my blood though. I will put up an update when I get my new results. I'm planning on doing the test tomorrow morning. That way I should know by Thursday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
To think this is the easy part of this whole parenting thing you are doing...
This will be a fond memory compared to what will happen in the next few months!!
Post a Comment